gratitude & hoopla: On Cross-less Preaching

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

9.8.06

On Cross-less Preaching

I have had several discussions lately about the need for the Cross of Christ and the fact of its atoning and redemptive purpose to be central to everything that goes on in church. A lot of people don't seem to want to accept this. They think that the Cross is "understood" and doesn't need to be "harped on" all that much.

That's why this post [What does it matter...] is so timely for me. Another great word from the consistently Cross-centered GospelDrivenLife. Speaking of his experiences in many churches:
I have heard a truncated, therapeuticized Gospel -- I have heard protracted pushes for people to invite Jesus into their hearts -- but I have not heard thoughtful explanations of the Gospel.