gratitude & hoopla: Vigilante Prayer and Open Doors

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

8.5.06

Vigilante Prayer and Open Doors

I've been dwelling on Colossians 4:2-4 lately. Take a look:
Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison—that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.
I'm struck by this idea of praying watchfully. Pray steadfastly, Paul says, being watchful and thankful. I think that's way cool! I want to do this. I want to have an attitude of vigilance, being eager to pray for whatever need springs up. To pray watchfully. Maybe I'll call it vigilante prayer.

The second part I'm intrigued by in this passage is the phrase "an open door for the word." It was Paul's mission, his heart's desire, to proclaim the message of the Kingdom everywhere he went. That's what Jesus did. That's what the other disciples of Jesus did as recorded in Acts. But it's not just "scattershot" proclamation. Paul is looking for an open door for the Word.

I've got a hunch that God shows us these "open doors" every day, but we pass them by. These are the things I want to work on in myself. I want to be a vigilante of prayer, and I want to proclaim the good news of the Kingdom from day to day (or, to put it another way, tell someone about Jesus!). This Kingdom news is a mystery, but also something that one may "make clear," which is, says Paul, only how we ought to speak. Lord, show me your open doors, then give me the grace to make clear the mystery of Christ.

I want this to be more truly and thoroughly my way of life. How about you?