gratitude & hoopla: A Grace-filled Misfit

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

6.4.06

A Grace-filled Misfit

This morning I finished reading a little collection of the writings of Rich Mullins: The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin. This book reminded me of why I loved Rich's music, and also that he was one of the rare ones. I know one or two guys like Rich. They are my favorite people in the world. Grace-filled misfits. Ragamuffins. People who, once having heard the words, "What does it profit a man that he should gain the whole world, but lose his soul," live the rest of their lives in ernest abandonment to that truth.

Anyway, Rich was one-of-a-kind. I'd like to quote his little book at length, but in the interest of brevity, I'll just try this one on for size:
I hope you see the faithfulness of God in everything He has made. I hope you learn to trust that all of this is His care sworn to you. But mostly, I hope you know Jesus through whom God has wildly and ferociously loved us. I hope you know and that you become sacramental to your neighbor who God also loves passionately. I hope you leave them little doubt about His love and the victory Jesus won over hate and death.