gratitude & hoopla: Three

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

1.2.06

Three

I've finished reading a life of Brigham Young and have moved on now to Robert Remini's brief biography of Joseph Smith. I think by the time I finish that I will have had my fill of Mormonism.

By the way, if there is a better argument for skepticism in regard to prophetic dreams and visions than Mormonism, I don't know what it is. I regard the early history of Mormonism in somewhat the same light as I regard the rise of Nazism in Germany--I know it happened, but how on earth could it have happened! How, that is, could people believe and fervently follow such obviously delusive leaders. I know all the socio-psychological explanations, and yet . . . amazing!

Over at Together for the Gospel the conversation about reading continues. Me, I want to plan my reading carefully. I want to think about reading not one book at a time, but as one course of study at a time. I want my reading to be a means of growth and maturity, not merely a pastime. And bloggers have been a goldmine of information and guidance about books.

Keep tabs on Out of the Bloo. You won't regret it. Today Bill is writing about a "subtle shift" that happens in the life of a believer. "As we grow in faith, there is a necessary shift in our focus that I believe must take place. And it is a joyous shift! It's a changing of our focus from inward to outward." Yeah man! Read all of For you are our glory and joy. It's good stuff!