gratitude & hoopla: Grace reigns?

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

22.2.06

Grace reigns?

Not much time today, so I'll be brief. Yesterday I said that sin disables, but that grace enables. I'm going to camp here for a while, I suspect. I said a few days ago I was going to start preaching the Gospel to myself every day, and I've been doing just that. It's given me a whole new lease on things, it seems. Yesterday some good friends stopped by the house, and they said I had a light in my eyes that they hadn't seen in me before! Well, cool.

For today, just a couple of verses from Romans:
Romans 5:17 -- If, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.

And a few verses later (20-21) -- Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
This idea that though sin once "reigned" in us (that is, held us in its power, exerted a controling influence on our lives, our thoughts, our decisions, attitudes, actions), but now grace reigns in us--this blows me away, folks. I'm going to think about this. I'm going to search the Scriptures regarding this. Grace reigns? What does that mean, God?