gratitude & hoopla: Back to Grace

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

18.1.06

Back to Grace

I think I'm going to read Thomas Oden's The Transforming Power of Grace. Why do I only "think" I will, as opposed to "know so"? Well, because I never know for sure until I'm at least 20 pages into the book.

Anyway, I want to read about grace. That's all. I can't get enough of it. I can't leave it behind, can't get beyond it. Grace, the grace of God, is never obsolete or insufficient. I can't speak of other things, no matter how "spiritual," without remembering grace and seeing these other things in the light of grace.

That's my starting-point. I don't expect to come to the end of this fascination of mine, and grace, after all, engenders gratitude and hoopla! So be it. Next post: a few quotations from Oden's preface. It's a doozy.