gratitude & hoopla: 2006

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

1.1.06

2006

So it's the new year, and I'm sitting here listening to Klezmer music and blogging. Last year at this time I was heading into the last few hours of a 24-hour worship and prayer service. This year, the memorable event of the week was really the debut gig of my son's band (that would be son Tim, the strong and brave) at a local club two nights ago. That was inspiring fun.

I am keenly aware that it is the start of a big new thing that we're calling 2006, and so I need to post stirring and memorable words to fit the occasion. But I've got nothing. Here's the thing. I don't exactly make resolutions, but I do try to remind myself of a few things at this time of year. For example:
1) ". . . you know the time, that the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed." Rom 13:11

2)
"The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost." 1 Tim 1:15

3) "Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience." Eph 5:6

4)
"By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you." 2 Tim 1:14

5)
"But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20:24

6)
"I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." Eph 4:1-3
I really don't know what the future holds: not the next year, not even the next moment. I just want to be ready. Mind on things above, clinging to what is good, feet shod with the gospel of peace, testifying in season and out to the good news of God's grace. Have a Gospel-prospering year!