gratitude & hoopla: Take and read (2)

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

2.12.05

Take and read (2)

Today I want to take a break from all this exegetical hash and do something that I haven't done in a long time: feature some of the fine reading I've come across among other Christian bloggers.

Brad at 21st Century Reformation has been writing helpfully on a subject that has somewhat preoccupied the Jesus bloggers lately: his post is entitled Reformed and Charismatic and The Central Role of Discipleship, and it really gets to the crux of the matter. I've been following this discussion with interest, across many different blogs, but Brad's post is among the most reasoned, loving, God-honoring of them all.


On the same subject, I would point you to Ryan Jones' What Does a Reformed-Charismatic Look Like? Ryan goes to a Sovereign Grace church, and frankly I might too if there were one near me. I found his description of the place of prophecy and tongues in the church service interesting and helpful, and not unlike my own church, by the way.[Thanks to Adrian Warnock for this one].

Dan Edelen at Cerulean Sanctum is doing a series on "The Hidden Messages of the American Church." Like so much of what Dan writes, these have been insightful and convicting. The three "hidden messages" that Dan has thus far identified: Classism, Kneeling at the Altar of Excellence, and Correctness before Love.

Scot McKnight at Jesus Creed is doing a series of Advent meditations on Joseph, the adoptive father of Jesus. These are deeply calming and thoughtful, as meditations should be. From the most recent of these, I quote:
We find ourselves in need of denying God’s embrace of our utter humanity: we want to say that we are only human, that we are limited, that we are sinners, that we are broken and cracked Eikons. But, this is the whole point of Christmas: God becomes what we are so we might become what Jesus is (I think that’s Athanasius). What we are: cracked Eikons; what Jesus is: perfect Eikon.
You can find all of them collected here. Start at the beginning. You will be blessed.

Finally, I always enjoy Vicki's Window to My Soul. I encourage you to browse here often, you will always be blessed. In particular, note her recent entry, Be Led, Not Driven. I think she's right on the money. "When life gets riddled with dream-speak and purpose-driven agendas, hey--just give me Jesus. Not programs, growth methods, or man's plans. Just Jesus." Mmmmm, I can relate. Good blogging, Vicki!