gratitude & hoopla: Just Musing

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

29.12.05

Just Musing

Tail end of another year. How is it, I wonder, that the end of the year always feels like a real ending, and the beginning of a new year like a real beginning. Is it a trick we play on ourselves, sign of a deep need to clean the slate and start over?

Saw Chronicles last night. Liked it well enough, but wasn't "swept away" or anything like that. Was it me, or was it the film, but I never quite suspended my critical apparatus, my knowledge that it was only a movie, etc. It didn't catch me up. The whole effort felt like a "little theater" production to me. But my wife loved it (she "suspends" far more easily than I do), and a friend of mine says he felt the same way as I after the first viewing, but the second viewing swept him up in the story and he was able to be wholly there. Will a second viewing work for me as the first did not?