gratitude & hoopla: Velvet Elvis Anyone?

gratitude & hoopla

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

19.10.05

Velvet Elvis Anyone?

Okay, I don't want to get preoccupied with Velvet Elvis, but here's something I would like to share. Author Rob Bell says that when Peter walked on the water it was because he had faith in himself, and when he began to sink, it was because he had lost faith in himself. (p.133) Bell goes on to summarize his teaching on this self-faith in this way:
So in the end of his time with his disciples, Jesus has some final words for them. He tells them to go to the ends of the earth and make disciples. And then he leaves. He promises to send his Spirit to guide them and give them power, but Jesus himself leaves the future of the movement in their hands. And he doesn't stick around to make sure they don't screw it up. He's gone. He trusts that they can actually do it.

God has an incredibly high view of people. God believes that people are capable of amazing things.

I have been told that I need to believe in Jesus. Which is a good thing. But what I am learning is that Jesus believes in me.

I have been told that I need to have faith in God. Which is a good thing. But what I am learning is that God has faith in me. (p.134)
Comments? Reactions? Explanations?